Induction to the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame is the highest honor bestowed by the organization. The ABCA was founded in 1945 and the Hall of Fame began in 1966. The honorees are inducted to the ABCA Hall of Fame during the ABCA/Diamond Hall of Fame/Coach of the Year Banquet at the annual ABCA Convention each January.
The ABCA Hall of Fame Committee meets at the convention each January to select the Hall of Fame class which will be inducted the following year.
Criteria for Nomination to Hall of Fame
Eligible nominees should meet the following prerequisites:
- Have served as a head baseball coach for a minimum of 15 years.
- Have demonstrated active membership in the ABCA for a minimum of 15 years.
- Have made professional and personal contributions to the ABCA (e.g., committee service, clinician, officer, etc.)
- Have significantly contributed to the advancement of baseball at the local, national or international level.
- Should be representative of: (a) High moral character and ethical standards, (b) Excellence recognized beyond the local level and (c) Demonstrated leadership abilities.
Nominations should be turned in to the ABCA National Office by mail prior to September 15 to be considered by the Hall of Fame Committee at the upcoming convention. The completed nomination form and all required documentation must be received for consideration.
Lefty Gomez Award Nomination/Information
The ABCA/Wilson Lefty Gomez Award is one of the most prestigious awards in all of amateur baseball. Named after the great Lefty Gomez, this award is presented by the American Baseball Coaches Association and Wilson Sporting Goods each year to an individual who has distinguished himself amongst his peers and has contributed significantly to the game of baseball locally, nationally and internationally.
The ABCA/Wilson Lefty Gomez Award is presented each year at the ABCA/Diamond Hall of Fame/Coach of the Year Banquet at the ABCA Convention.
Those wishing to nominate an individual for the ABCA/Wilson Lefty Gomez Award should contact committee chair Bob Whalen, of Dartmouth College, by May 1, to be considered by the committee at the following convention.
The committee chair will indicate the necessary materials, including a complete biography and three letters of recommendation, which will be due by June 1. Complete nominations received after the deadline will be considered for the following year.
The ABCA/Wilson Lefty Gomez Award is presented by Wilson Sporting Goods.